United States Licensing Requirements

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations state that freight brokers who arrange transportation in or through the U.S. are required to possess a Motor Carrier Number (MC#) backed by a minimum $75,000 (U.S. funds) surety bond or registered trust fund.  The NTBA requires each member to possess a valid and current Motor Carrier Number.

The U.S. FMCSA regulation refers to load brokers as Motor Carrier Property Brokers.  Information on registration in the U.S. can be obtained through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.  Confirmation of proper registration by a freight broker or carrier can be confirmed using the search tools on the website.